Dear Zervas Families,
Greetings! I hope this letter finds you all well and enjoying the last few days of summer vacation. With only a few days until the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year, I thought I would give Zervas families a quick update in case you missed the email a few weeks ago.
I have had a very productive summer; getting my office set up; meeting with Zervas Staff, PTO board members and Newton School Administrators; holding open parent meetings; reading the wonderful letters that students have sent me; and reviewing curriculum and various policies. In doing so, I have been impressed with the high level of professionalism, dedication, and respect that is clearly articulated in all that Newton represents. I am so very pleased to be returning to this exemplary school system and I look forward to working with all of you and your children in the upcoming year.
Mr. Boles and Ms. Deluca, our Custodial Staff, have been busy moving furniture, cleaning classrooms, and waxing floors (the building looks great!). Teachers have been busy taking workshops, courses, and preparing their classrooms for the upcoming school year. PTO Co-Presidents, Joanne Hooker and Helen Haley, have been busy welcoming our new families and planning for the upcoming school year. And lastly, Mrs. Hadley and I have been busy preparing for the first day of school. We are all looking forward to having the students return!
Here are a few items that I would like to inform you about:
• Class lists were sent out to all families via email on Friday, August 24.
• Families are invited to attend our “Visiting Hour” on Thursday, August 30 from 1:30 to 2:30. This will be an opportunity to visit your child’s classroom and meet the teacher. Remember that teachers are very busy getting everything ready for the first day, so please limit your visits to this dedicated time.
• The first day of school for students in grades 1-5 is Tuesday, September 4. Kindergartners in Group A only will also come to school on Tuesday, September 4. Kindergarteners in Group B only will come to school on Wednesday, September 5. Then all Kindergartners will come to school on Thursday, September 6. Kindergarten dismissal will be 12:30 for the first few weeks of September.
• Please plan on joining the PTO for coffee outside in the Nature’s Classroom from 8:30-9:00 on the first two days of school.
• There will be a Welcome Back Packet coming home on the first day or two of school. This will have a lot of important information for you to review. Please take a moment to look through this. We appreciate your prompt attention to any forms that need to be completed and returned.
• Mark your calendars: the All-School Family Picnic will be on Wednesday, September 12 at 6:00 p.m. and Curriculum Night will be on Tuesday, September 18 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. More details about these events will be coming home soon.
On a personal note, my family and I have been enjoying a great summer. We have taken a number of weekend trips, visited friends and family in New Hampshire, Maine and Connecticut. Most recently we have enjoyed a week in the Berkshires – what a restful get away! Now that August has arrived, my family and I are anxious for school to begin. My daughter, Natalie is going to be a fifth grader and my son, Andrew is going to be a third grader. After a little back to school shopping, they are both looking forward to a wonderful year!
I hope you enjoy the remaining days of summer before the start of the school year. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas that you would like to share. You may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 617-559-6750.