Dear Zervas Families,
This past weekend I attended my first Destination Dinner; a PTO fundraiser and wonderful tradition bringing the community together to share delicious dinners hosted by various Zervas families. It was a nice opportunity to spend time outside of school getting to know one another better. My husband and I had a wonderful time, talking with familiar faces and meeting new folks as well. It was great to see several new Kindergarten families attend this event. Many thanks to all the folks who worked on behalf of the community to make the evening so special.
As this event represents, one of the important aspects of our school community is working together to make our school a better place. Each day teachers and staff work to create a safe, friendly and respectful school environment. We know that, by doing so, children feel respected as a valued member of the larger school community and are better able to succeed academically and socially. This work is rooted in our school’s Core Values:
• Academic Excellence: We believe all students will strive for academic excellence.
• Confidence: We believe all students will be confident in their capabilities, their value to society, and their ability to succeed.
• Cooperation: We believe all students will be valuable, contributing group members.
• Respect: We believe all students will show respect for themselves, others and their community.
• Responsibility: We believe all students will take responsibility for their words and actions.
On October 19th, we held our first All School Meeting focused on our Core Values and School-Wide Expectations. At this meeting, we reviewed these values and shared how they translate to all aspects of our school: our hallways, playgrounds, and bathrooms; as well as during our lunch times. The children were treated to a sing-along led by our fourth grade teachers: Mr. O’Rourke, Mr. West and Mr. Bergquist. We ended our meeting with a closing activity called The Coming and Going of the Rain. It was a great whole school activity that really brought us all together with a common purpose. We hope to have more of these meetings as the year progresses.
Wishing you and your family a wonderful November.