January 7, 2013
New Year Greetings to Zervas Families!
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday with your families. It is always good to see the students return from vacation refreshed and full of stories from their time away. As we enter a new year, I wanted to remind you of some of our school procedures and safety routines.
The Blue Zone: School Drop-off and Pick-up Zones
The city of Newton has created designated drop-off and pick-up areas at many schools in the city. These school drop off and pick up zones have been created and authorized by city ordinance #19-179 and are commonly referred to as “Blue-Zones”. School drop-off and pick-up zones were designed to allow for improved traffic flow and safer drop off and pick up of students. School drop off zones are in effect Monday through Friday on days that school is in session. The ordinance specifically states:
• No vehicle may park in a school drop off zone from 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start of school until the scheduled start of school.
• No vehicle may park in a school drop off zone from one hour prior to the scheduled end of school until 30 minutes after the scheduled end of school.
• Vehicles may stop in the school drop off zone during the above restricted times to engage in the dropping off or picking up of passengers, which shall not be permitted for a period of longer than one (1) minute.
• Parking is allowed in a school drop off zone outside of restricted times.
For these drop off and pick up zones to work correctly, the following must occur:
• No vehicles may be parked or left unattended in a school drop off zone during the restricted times. This includes parents waiting for their child to come out of or go into the school.
• No illegally parked vehicles can be waiting near the school, for example in restricted parking areas, within corners, blocking driveways, bus stops, etc.
• Parents should not pick up students when double or tripled parked.
• Students must enter and exit on the sidewalk side of the vehicle.
In the event that violations to our Blue Zone procedures occur, Blue Zone Violation Notices will be given out. Thank you for your help in making this process work for our students and families.
Visitors to our School
All visitors who come to our school after 8:35 should report to the main office to sign in and receive a visitor’s badge. This applies to all parents who are volunteering in the Library, Art room, or in their child’s classroom; as well as parents who are coming in for a meeting. Visitors should also sign out as they leave our school. We need your help to make sure this practice is being followed. In order to minimize the traffic in our halls, maintain building security, as well as know who is in our school throughout the day, all visitors need to follow this protocol. Thank you!
Please remember to make dismissal plans for your child prior to the start of the school day. If there is a change to your child’s regular plans, please inform your child’s teacher in writing at the start of the day. If dismissal plans need to change during the school day due to emergency reasons, please call the office as early as possible. While we understand that emergencies come up, please realize that it is a disruption to instruction for the office to call into the classroom to announce changes. Thank you.
Progress Reports will be available on February 11th. Similar to last year, these will be available to parents electronically. Instructions for how to access these on line, as well as how to request a paper copy, will be coming home in early February.
Thank you for your attention to these matters. I know that together we can ensure the safety and well being of our students.
Lastly, I would like to invite you to the year’s second Principal Coffee which will be held on Monday, January 28th at 8:30 am in the Library. Hope to see you there!
All my best,