Due to many tragic events in 2017, the Angier community wants to show their love and support — for our country and for each other — and help save lives. This February 11, from 9-2, Angier will be holding its first ever Red Cross Blood Drive. Come show your Valentine’s-spirit by saving a life with your blood donation! The blood drive is open to everyone: parents, teachers, faculty, staff, friends and family!
Why we need blood donors*:
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S needs blood.
- Blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event.
- A single donation can potentially help more than one patient.
And Boston is a high-demand area, supplying blood for the top hospitals in the country.
What to know about giving blood (learn more here)*:
- The number one reason donors say they give blood is because they “want to help others.”
- Among Red Cross donors in a given year, 26 percent are first-time donors.
- Type O negative blood is needed in emergencies before the patient’s blood type is known and with newborns who need blood.
- The donation takes about 8-15 minutes, and we allow another 10-15 minutes to rest, enjoy refreshments and let your body re-adjust.