The Superintendent of Schools, Dr. David Fleishman, has proposed the NPS Budget for FY12 to the Newton School Committee. The School Committee will be voting on the proposed budget on April 6. To contact the School Committee, please send an email to: email@example.com. You can also speak at public comment hearings on Monday, March 28, starting at 7:30 p.m. in the Auditorium at the Day Middle School, 21 Minot Place, Newtonville.
For elementary schools, the recommended cuts for regular education budget are summarized below. In addition, there are significant changes and cuts proposed for special education programs. Further details are available on the district website and the PTO Council website.
- The art department will experience a reduction of 2.7 teachers which will mean that art classes for students in grades 1 – 5 will be reduced from the current length of 60 minutes down to 45 minutes.
- The music program will experience a reduction of 2.9 teachers. This reduction will result in the elimination of 4th grade chorus and the elimination of the 30 minute class for third grade recorder instruction.
- The Library Department will be reduced by 2.5 teachers resulting in reduced library hours.
- The Instructional Support Staff (internal building based substitute teacher) will be reduced.
- In addition there will be a reduction of 1.5 classroom teachers across the city.
- There are also proposed cuts to the elementary education special education portion of the budget.
- A fee will be charged for fifth grade instrumental and All City Chorus.
- There will also be a new bus fee for K-5 students who live within 1-2 miles from school.
- The fee for the early morning drop off program will be increased.
- Other changes include one additional math coach position (for the district) and additional literacy support for two of the larger schools.
The School Committee would like to hear from parents about the proposed budget changes for 2012! In addition, the SC is looking for feedback about the co-taught classes at the elementary schools this current school year.
To contact the School Committee, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also speak at public comment hearings on Monday, March 28, starting at 7:30 p.m. in the Auditorium at the Day Middle School, 21 Minot Place, Newtonville. Please note that all public comments are limited to 3 minutes per speaker.
NPS FY12 budget information available here